The attractive green Peridot stone belongs to the olive mineral family and is the olivine family’s most well-known member. Peridot seems hazy due to its many inclusions and interior cracks. It is often called the evening Emerald due to its strength and beauty. Peridot only comes in the shade of green. Usually, Peridot has an oily and greasy appearance on its surface. You can order Peridot stoneseither in olive or brownish green color.
Health Benefits of Peridot
Many cultures associate Peridot with good fortune. The semi-precious stone can make your life more luminous and bright. Wearing a peridot can activate and balance your heart chakra. Peridot also has calming properties. Your mind will remain clearer and more courageous while your heart will be more content. Many people order Peridot stones as they are said to contain many mystical properties.
Wearing a peridot will help your cells and tissues regenerate, and you will gain power and increase your strength. It is also known for being excellent for our adrenal and endocrine systems. Also, wearing Peridot on your skin can help you resolve every skin problem, and your skin will regain its luster.
The gemstone is also known for relieving pain, treating high fevers, and giving comfort. It also can reduce anxiety and sharpen the mind. It is an amazing aid for maintaining mental health. Peridot can help you have the energy needed to work as hard as possible. You can entirely concentrate on your task without being sidetracked. You can experience stability and equilibrium.
Availability of Peridot
Peridot is mostly mined in Arizona on the San Carlos Reservation, Arkansas, Nevada, Hawaii, and New Mexico at Kilbourne Hole. It is also mined in Australia, China, Brazil, Kenya, Egypt, Myanmar, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Norway, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, South Africa and Pakistan. Today, Ost Peridot comes from Arizona, but huge reserves are also found in Myanmar, Pakistan, and China.
Types of Peridot
- Changbai Peridot: this one is named after its mining location in the Changbai Mountain Range in Northeast China. It is one of the finest Peridot in the world. The mountain range extends the border between China and North Korea. These peridots are characterized by their gorgeously organic deep green hues and vibrant pops of lime. They are inclusive, and the average size is around a carat. Many lakes, rivers, and high-peak mountains characterize the area where the stones are mined.
- Pakistani Peridot: these are light and bright peridots with a charming shade, usually apple or lime green, with subtle golden undertones. They are well-faceted and polished for maximum beauty. They are mined in the Pakistan-administered area of Kashmir, a region which is known for its high altitude and extreme weather conditions. This stone was discovered in 1994 and can only be mined during summer. Since 2005, the pricing of Pakistani Peridot has been on the rise due to its colorful variety. It has a carat size range, unlike Changbai peridot.
- Hunan Peridot: Hunan peridot has two distinct qualities, non-bearing yellow tones, and world-class clarity. This variation is known for its openness of color. It originates from the southeastern province of China in the Hunan mining area. Its size is approximately a carat, and if cut correctly, it resembles the shine and brilliance of a diamond. The Changbai peridot has a slightly darker tone than the Hunan.
Depending on their color, peridot stone has several varieties. Chrysolite, or green stone, is green-yellow and comes from volcanic rocks, while olivine is olive. There are other peridots with more and less cark green tints, which may tend to be brown.
- In mineralogy, Peridot is classified as follows:
- It belongs to class VII of silicates and the subgroup of olivines,
- It has an orthorhombic crystal structure and a chemical composition of iron silicate, aking with magnesium, manganese, chlorine, and nickel. It has a short prism, conchoidal fracture, white trace line, greasy, and a vitreous luster. It is transparent to translucent with grainy and massive aggregated morphology.
Peridot stones can be distinguished from each other by their density, hardness, and luminescence. Peridot stones are formed in magmatic rocks by contact with metasomatic and basic pegmatites, meteorites, and alluvium. They include the Earth’s mantle and not the crust. This is because the movement of tectonic plates causes them to be rejected on the surface of the Earth.
Though the etymology origins of the peridot stones are unclear, two origins have been proposed. The first derives from the Arabic word ‘Faridae’, which means precious stone, and the other from the Latin word ‘paedos’ which means a young boy and a designated opal stone.
The Bottom Line
Green Peridot is an exquisite stone that can provide courage, vitality, and healing energy. It can heal you mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Wearing it can have many positive health effects. The green Peridot can balance you and inspire trust in you. It is perfect for people who struggle with critical thinking. It is an alluring gemstone that can promote general wellness.