Your wedding day is deemed to be the happiest day of your life. And in those blissfully happy moments, you are bound to wear a smile. And just like everything else, it has to be perfect for your wedding day. Thankfully, your orthodontist can help you prepare and shape the perfect smile for your big day. All you need to do is take a few precautions, work with your orthodontist, and complete all the required treatments in time for the wedding.
Here are some things that tell you how to get the best smile for your wedding day –
1. Plan Ahead:
Orthodontic treatments take time. Especially, if you need alignment procedures for malocclusion, you need to plan for at least 12 to 18 months. Any braces or trays used for the treatment can be removed from your mouth well before the wedding. Visit your orthodontist as soon as you can and plan the treatment with them. Ensure that the treatment begins on time and ends well before the wedding day.
2. Consider Your Oral Habits:
If you have spent your life thinking that you don’t need to care for your teeth, it’s time to reconsider that. If you don’t already have good oral habits, at least a few months before your wedding start following good oral hygiene. Establish a dental hygiene routine that improves your dental health and smile. Consider the following –
- Brushing Your Teeth – Experts recommend brushing your teeth twice daily. Ask your dentist to recommend a good toothbrush for you.
- Flossing – Flossing is essential for good oral health. It helps reach the food particles in your mouth that the brush can’t reach.
- Use a Mouth Wash – Mouth rinse solutions like a good mouthwash helps rid your mouth of bacteria and reduce the risk of gum disease. It also helps remove bad breath.
3. Consider Cosmetic Options:
Cosmetic dentistry can help you find quick and reliable solutions to ensure that you have a picture-perfect smile on your wedding day. With technological advancement, orthodontists have developed quick solutions to give you a sparkling white smile when you need it the most. Here are some cosmetic dental treatments to consider –
- Invisalign Clear Aligners – Invisalign clear aligners work to help with the misalignment of teeth, just like braces. But unlike braces invisalign aligners are clear and invisible. You can also remove them when you need to brush or floss your teeth. With time, these aligners bring your teeth to their correct position, shaping your perfect smile. Remember to ask your dentist about a thorough cleaning and disinfection of your teeth, before they put in the aligners. You can also use Invisalign cleaning crystals to clean your teeth.
- Porcelain Veneers – Porcelain veneers are thin enamel shells that cover your teeth to hide any chipped, cracked or broken teeth. It is also a great solution to hide permanent stains or discolouration of teeth. The process of getting porcelain veneers takes only two or three visits to your dentist.
- Schedule a Cleaning – Regular teeth cleaning at the dentist should be a part of your oral hygiene routine. Remember to schedule a cleaning session with your orthodontist a day or two before your wedding. They can remove any buildup of plaque or any stains on your teeth with professional cleaning tools and techniques.
4. Maintain a Healthy Diet:
A healthy diet plan ahead of your wedding is essential to help you look and feel good. It can also help improve your smile, minimize stains and reduce the risk of tooth decay. Remember to drink enough water, include green and leafy vegetables in your diet, and avoid sugar. If you smoke or drink alcohol, it is best to avoid these habits to improve your overall health and smile.
5. Avoid Last-Minute Dental Disasters:
On your wedding day, you will have a lot on your mind. But don’t forget to check your smile for lipstick stains or other obstructions before you start posing for pictures. Avoid food that can give you bad breath or food stains. And keep some sugar-free gum and floss handy. It will help you clean out your teeth and freshen your breath whenever you need it.
There may be numerous things to take care of before your wedding. But your smile will forever be a part of your wedding photos and you must spend time planning and prepare for it. Thankfully, there are so many solutions in the world of orthodontics to help you look great as you smile for your wedding photos. Talk to your dentist about how to get a beautiful smile and the perfect look for the big day.
Dr. Satish Pai is an orthodontist and Ivy League-trained dentist who has served as a faculty at Columbia University. He believes a perfect smile makes a person look great and feel great. As the founder of Putnam Orthodontics and a Partner at Brite Orthodontics, he is dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatments to his patients. He also writes to educate people about orthodontics, the importance of correctly aligned teeth, and good oral health. In his free time, you can find him golfing, doing yoga or surfing, and spending time with his family.